Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Waldorf School

I used to be a Waldorf Kid.  A Waldie.  A Waldorfian.  A Waldork.

I still consider myself a Waldork.

In case you have no idea what the hell I am talking about, too bad, go do something else.


NOOO...just kidding, or as Sophia says...JK.  (Short for just kidding...teenagers today!)

I went to a Waldorf School from 1st through 8th grade.

If you don't know about Waldorf schools...you should check them out, especially if you have children.

There are a lot of things to be said about these learning institutions.

Such as...

1.  Their kindergartens make the best bread on the face of the planet.

2.  They aim to teach the whole person in all aspects of a human being's life...not just the brain.

3.  They discourage the use of media as  entertainment or as a learning tool for children.

4.  Jennifer Aniston is a Waldorf graduate.

5.  They were founded by a German philosopher named Rudolf Steiner, who was hired to create a school for the workers of a german cigarette factory.  Ole' Rudy(Thats what we Waldorks call him) was the founder of an obscure and little known philosophy, Anthroposophy.  The schools, some more loosely  than others, are based on this philosophy.

6. Waldorf Schools are so expensive they make me want to eat a frosted cupcake and pull the blankets over my eyes.  (My kids went to "Waldorf inspired" charter schools (free)...except for pre-school, kindergarten and first grade...before I realized that money doesn't grow on trees)

7. Pamela Anderson Lee sends her children to Waldorf School.  I wonder how Rudolf Steiner would feel about silicone and sex tapes?

8.  Birkenstocks are part of the dress code.  (JK)

9.    Every teacher does a drawing on the chalk board every week, or every day...or whatever...it's been a long time, I don't remember some things.  

10. The approach to ART  that these institutions have...unsurpassed, revolutionary, right on the money as far as I am concerned.


No comments:

Post a Comment