Monday, January 31, 2011

The Human Spirit

It might be easy to find ourselves in despair about what is happening in the world.  Blizzards, oil spills, joblessness, foreclosures, riots, recession, the list goes on and on.

 These days beautiful stories of strength, courage, and ethical fortitude are few and far between.  

I somehow don't think that is because those things aren't happening, I think it may have something to do with the fact that those stories don't sell quite as well.

My brother Ian, (who is a political lobbyist, 8 years older than me, keeps an impeccably organized closet, and once licked my entire Best of The Police CD because he wanted it and I was unwilling to trade for Prince) sent  this to me.

He, like myself, seeks out these sorts of stories and images.

This photo is of Egyptians making a human chain around an army Republican Guard Tank in Cairo's Tahrir Square helping to protect Cairo's museum during anti-regime demonstrations. 




museum-afp.jpg

I think the human spirit is stronger than CNN, MSNBC, FOX  would have us believe.

CAIRO TAHRIR SQUARE 2.jpg


Let us not despair, the human spirit is alive and strong.

Rather, let us find inspiration for our own lives, the struggles and the triumphs, in these stories and images of bravery and courage. 

Because the strength of our spirits and the strength of the spirits of our brothers and sisters in Egypt are one in the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment