Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fresh Corn Salsa

It is really summer around here.

I know that because there is corn in the stores.

True summer only happens when the corn arrives...I'm serious.  That's how Native people marked the arrival of summer.

I made that up.  Sounded good though huh?

I make stuff up all the time and then try and convince my kids it's true.  I told them we bought the cat an elliptical machine for Christmas because he is really packing on the pounds.  That was months ago, and I keep telling them they are on back order but that it will be here soon.  I told Marcus just last week that he better get cracking and design and make something quick so I don't look like a liar to my kids.

They will need therapy.

I hope you still like me even though I make stuff up.  And mentally abuse my children.

I made this up today though and I think it is pretty good.

I made it because it is summer.  Because I love corn.  Because it is delicious.  Because it has lime juice in it.  Because I am obsessed with mexican food.


Gather your friends in close.


Chop you veggies, I like every thing to be about the same size.  It makes for easier eating.


No need to cook corn here, just cut it right from the ear.


Pile it all up.


Add your cheese, I used feta.  But you could use cotija, queso fresco or omit it completely if you are doin' the vegan thing.  You could also omit the black beans if you are doin' the raw thing.


The juice from half a fresh lime.  Also some olive oil, salt and pepper.


And there you have it!  
It could be served with chips, over brown rice, with tacos, on top of salad or all by it's lonesome.  

Any way you look at it...it's all good!

Corn Salsa
5 ears fresh corn
1/2 small diced red onions
1/2-3/4 C small diced tomatoes
1/2 C chopped fresh cilanto
1/2-3/4 C feta cheese
1 can black beans
1 lime
2-3 Tbls. good olive oil
salt and pepper

Remove corn from ears.  Dice and chop all your veggies, add to the corn.  Add feta and beans, toss to combine.  Add lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment